Friday, April 22, 2011

Comments from a college student.

Michael is currently a Junior at Temple University's Boyer School. He wrote the following comments and suggested to me that they might make a good post on my blog.  He is right, so his comments are below:

It's easier for society as a whole to share the burden than to put it on each person individually. Simple logic actually. Fiscal Conservatism is fundamentally flawed because of the increases in technology paired with the decrease in cost of technology. Because the potential quality of life for each person can increase so quickly and cheaply on the whole, a belief that one cannot progressively create programs for a nation as a whole to enjoy under an umbrella of equality is utterly false. Health care is a good example, i.e. in Canada.



Without foreign wars or the burden of the Euro (Europe's financial woes are more the result of the poorer E.U. countries struggles with maintaining an economy strong enough to stay in pace with the strength of the Euro), Canada maintains a spending equilibrium while providing its citizens with a strong minimum wage (more than twice of the average in the U.S.) and nationalized Health Care. Canada has no shortage of health professionals, and nobody is going out of business because they need to pay their employees a livable wage. In addition, I believe the U.S. has the potential to do this better than the Canadians because if one can seek and destroy the corporate corruption within our alphabet agencies covering prescription drugs and health care, our government is incredibly effective at keeping us safe.

Ironically, if you cut the spending as proposed by the Republicans (aka spend less earn less, where instead of everybody losing, everybody must suffer to make the top 1% of the country richer), these agencies will either be destroyed or hampered in some way, possibly severely, which directly effects you and your family, Mrs. Milone. Think of me, for instance. How long do you think it will take in this world for me to get health care paid by my employer, especially when the trend is leaning towards them not paying it despite record revenues for corporate entities nationwide? It might not even happen. If President Obama had not made it mandatory for UPenn to provide me with care until I was 28, I likely would have not even had it, costing taxpayers should I have an emergency (wait for it, the irony is so DELICIOUS) even more.

Multiply that by all the young people my age growing up now. I'm going to be an educated person living in utter poverty for what could be a decade or two after I graduate, so what's that to say about the 1/3 of our country that drops out of high school, let alone the small percentage of the remainder that get in and stay in college? Educational cuts have destroyed the system here, which spending cuts would further hamper an already severely crippled system. No money in schools, at home, or for college are leaving more and more people out of the possibility of obtaining the education and comfortable life living in a first-world country should garner for them.

How many generations before our family is left behind mom? It's going to be immigrant life in the 1900s all over again. We can't live in a society that allows robber-barons to profit off of the labor of thousands of people, we as a country decided that 80 years ago. I know you worked your ass off all your life, and in my opinion, deserve more than the richest man in the world. But the fact is, you worked too hard in your life to be where you are. To be quite honest, both you and dad have. I know you're comfortable, but let's be honest, without you and the minimal rewards of your immaculate work ethic to rely on, my Uncle would not have his business success. If you worked as hard as a rich kid needs to succeed as an adult, we'd all be on food stamps.

I'd just like to put things in perspective for you. Someone who works as hard as you firmly believes in work ethic. You know I share those same beliefs mom; you know I work my ass off here. I just can't stand a hard worker being taken advantage of so that someone who isn't working nearly as hard can profit off of his toils and not compensate him in a respectful way. The day our nation's leading employers decide that a pay system that more fairly shares the profits amongst its employees rather than give the people up top huge spending bonuses for work never done, the day they decide that living in a poisonous atmosphere (literally, and I'm not talking CO2 emissions so spare me) is an unacceptable risk for profits, and the day they decide to make safe, useful products people want rather than make unsafe products marketers make people think they want, and until the day corporate funding of campaigns is made illegal (again), I will be voting Democrat (but, if it makes you feel better, only for a lack of a better option, lol).

15 comments:

  1. LOU

    This might well qualify as required reading for his entire generation and the political fraternity in Washington DC. "Out of the mouths of Babes etc" He certainly has thought it out and even though his youthful naivete' is somewhat evident, his conclusions are 'magnificent' in their honesty.
    Tell him from me ........ well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOU,

    Here is my latest piece from my website www.jamesconvey.com hope you enjoy and that it will further stimulate your thoughts... James

    http://www.jamesconvey.com/1/post/2011/04/america-should-remember-gagarin-with-awe.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite sure I understand the point of this post. This is a second year Music and Dance student with views similar to yours. The presentation is not very good and there is no documentation to support the claims. Why should I change my opinion on fiscal policy based on this?

    One thing that I do agree about is that when he/she does graduate it will be tough getting a job in the arts. These jobs are mostly depenent on grants and foundations mainly set up by the wealthy or corporations with some taxpayer support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To finish my point, our young college student will be dependent on the very people that he/she calls robber-barons for a job. Furthermore, there will probably be the expectation of guaranteed employment (after all the hard work of educating oneself) and also the expectation that they will be hired on their terms rather that the terms of the employer.

    Maybe I am a dinosaur but I don’t understand this dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James and Lou
    Sorry for being so active this morning and a bit off topic but I have an ethical question for you.

    I the US we have two types of government sponsored saving vehicles called IRA’s and Roth IRA’s. There are more but just focusing on these two for the moment. If you meed certain requirements, the IRA allows you to take a deduction on your taxes immediately. When you withdraw, presumably in retirement, you pay taxes then. There is also a provision that allows “wealthy” individuals to make non-deductible contributions.

    The Roth IRA allows you to contribute after tax dollars but you do not have to pay taxes. The “wealthy” are restriced from contributing to the Roth IRA.

    A few years ago, in an effort to generate more tax revenue from people with large IRA’s, the Congress removed the income restriction on converting retirement savings from and IRA to a Roth IRA. This also created a loophole that allowed wealthy to contribute to the Roth IRA. This is perfectly legal.

    My question is am I a bad person for taking advantage of this loophole?

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    No! Stupid loopholes are the fault of administrators and regardless of ethical questions, legal is as legal does! Ethics in this case may well be a matter of personal conscience however?

    As to your comment re the young student's post. I believe you missed the point, again? (And yes you are a dinosaur to a degree as you continue to deny the big picture that is the Global view.)
    It is about the communal good being the responsibility of all. This individualistic 'what's mine is mine' and not for sharing, is the every antithesis of a healthy democratic, communal and societal practicality. In other words, just because you were or are successful, does not mean that you owe no duty to your fellow man, and to that society from which you garnered your success.

    It may be debatable ideologically, how that should be administered? But the current ethos on the right, is certainly that those that have enjoyed the benefits of society in the good old days, and a large number of those to an extreme extent,should now owe no duty to those suffering from the combined effects of all of this societies folly.

    This latest "folly" of culpability for "wrongdoing" and excess, does without question, mainly rest with that aforementioned elite group of "top earners" and or the under taxed wealthy of the last decade. (Bankers and mortgage brokers etc etc ). The Ryan budgetary stance appears to be the accepted position of the right, as passed by this republican congress, and will obviously further hollow out the already slim assets of the working middle class, as well as punish the poor, the sick and the elderly, even more than before. Complete economic lunacy!

    While the culpable class, secure in their paid for haven of right wing dominance, escape any and all responsibility? This is extremism taken to a new level and may well cause social upheaval and riotous commotion at the street level, throughout your nation.

    This young man has obviously yet to grow and through life's experiences become more confident of his beliefs, but for my part I think he has already understood the main message. That a community is about "loving thy neighbor as thyself". And that we are all as human beings, created equal!.......I have taught my 3 sons the same lessons. Happy Easter to you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. John,

    2 quotes from my archives: I believe they address adequately to the hedonistic selfishness prevalent in todays upper wealth echelons of American society.

    "............It never fails to disturb me, how many times I have
    witnessed perfectly able and talented people, having finally achieved
    some wealth and the trappings of authority and power, choose then to
    abuse the privilege by immediately inserting their heads firmly up
    their own backsides? ............Ego is certainly a necessary
    component of the list of talents required for success in life's
    efforts,........... but uncontrolled ego is the single most blinding
    event in business...........This is born from the belief, that they
    achieved their status, solely upon their own merit and guile and
    without any "significant" input from others.............In this
    definition, ego becomes arrogance !..................."

    "Until ones general focus and striving effort to succeed, is also upon the health and welfare of our chosen leaders, our neighbors, our community, and the entirety of all of the peoples of the world, then nothing of real worth can come from any striving whatsoever."

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  8. James,

    Your points taken. The only point that I may disagree with is, if you are infering this, is a "claw back" provision on the wealthy or elite unless they did something illegal to get it.

    I feel that the people that have done well do owe a debt to society and should try to help others less fortunate. This is why people like Bill Gates & Warren Buffet command a lot of my respect. The thing I am not sure can be done is to legislate this sort of behavior.


    Also I wish you would stop refering to "Republican Congress". I believe this is the second or third time you have done this. As you are aware our Congress is made up of two houses. The Republicans control only one, the House of Representatives. The Senate is still controlled by Democrats. Again as I sure you are aware the HOR generates some pretty bizzare legislation. This happens no matter which party is in control of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My apologies for my error as to the differing aspects of your parliament.

    The fact is that at present it appears that the 'HOR' is in control of budgetary matters, or am I again in error? Does their vote (passage of Ryans budget) not indicate their ideological belief as to the pattern they would design for the entire nation, and also set out their beliefs as to the kind of nation the United States should be??
    I am not aware of any other time I referred to a "republican congress". Again if I did it was certainly in error but after all I am born into and presently live, in a parliamentary system. I have always been a little vague as to your power structures but I assure you such missive was totally innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading the commits and as I read on, all I can hear is Charlie Brown's Teacher getting louder and louder. Your not a "bad person", your a bad dinosaur. It dose not matter which side of the political fence your on. If you agree with the way things have been and are being handled. Then your part of the problem. The problem being. As long as Washington's good old boys, get there way. It will only benefit the corporation known as THE U.S. Government. If you think they are "by the people and for the people". Then your better off then most.
    The young man's comment's are true. Because that is how he feel's and what he is going through. For you try to lessen or discard it with your own views, just show's how self absorbed you are. Thanks for the air time, now back to our scheduled BS.....BEEEEEEEPPPPP

    ReplyDelete
  11. To John and James, I will (try to ) reply to all of your comments, here in this one post.

    First off, thank you both for taking the time to read the post and being interested enough to reply. I really appreciate your participation here. All of your comments, both ones I agree with - and especially ones I may disagree with, are welcome and respected.

    I have to point out that, this reply is actually my second attempt to do so. My first reply - which took me a while to think through, errored out for some reason - and I lost the entire reply. Grrrrr! :) So, this one - my second attempt, will be shorter, because now I'm ticked off. LOL

    John, regarding your tax "dilemma", my first response is a rhetorical question: Why would you NOT take advantage of it? Are you being moral/ethical if you do NOT, or just being foolish? In addition, how would you feel if your neighbors (metaphorically speaking) took advantage of it and gained a financial advantage that you did not? Would you take it as a competitive thing, or not care what they were doing? I'm assuming you are not wealthy enough that you could give all your money away - a la Bill Gates. :)

    On a related note, my next post is going to be on the topic of taxes. I'm motivated in part by the re-emergence of a series (of articles) in the Philadelphia Inquirer from 20 years ago called "America, What Went Wrong", which is currently being updated by the authors. I won't go into detail now, but I'll explain it as part of my next post. Hopefully I'll have something next week.

    James, I did read your commentary about Gagarin. Very nice. I believe people are getting move involved now. They/we are being motivated to be active because of the economic situation most of us are facing, as well as for a counter-balance to the Tea Party types.

    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". I believe Newton's Third Law applies to people's behavior as much as it does to bodies at the molecular level. Nature is constantly trying to get itself in balance, and we are part of nature - even though many times we think we are not. I think the Buddhists have it right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lou...... A thought......

    The pendulum of power, through the layers of human nature, through time and human progress, still swings inexorably to and fro,
    But balance demands, it must always return to the centre eventually.
    After all is said and done, that is I believe the one dynamic which best serves all of mankind........

    ReplyDelete
  13. On a related note, I want to point everyone to the website for "America: What Went Wrong?". It is based on the work of the two (former) Philadelphia Inquirer reporters who wrote the original series and the book that followed, back in 1991. They are updating their work now.

    http://americawhatwentwrong.org/

    I highly recommend reading the various articles on that site, including this one:

    http://americawhatwentwrong.org/story/taxes-and-corporations/

    I will base my next post in part from the content in that web site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came across a comment from someone in response to an article on the Mother Jones website that I really like. I have very slightly edited the comment for context, but the paragraph is primarily the same. Here it is:

    "A huge percentage of Americans are not curious about anything: traveling, investigating what they hear from others, history, art, NOTHING. And so they have been and continue to be prime pigs to be fed horseshit from the likes of William Randolph Hearst up through Rupert Murdoch today. Combine that with a lack of education--or a movement AGAINST education (seen as elite, for some reason), a huge dose of fear, and you have the cesspool that is American culture in the 21st Century."

    http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/history-political-lying?page=3

    ReplyDelete
  15. It also describes very adequately Roman culture, "..... as the hordes from the east (visigoths 410) sacked Rome!...... ref: Hieronimus (Saint Jerome)

    Thank God we are somewhat more civilized today. Or are we?

    ReplyDelete